How can I find God’s plan for me?
July 21, 2011
Posted by on
I want to know what God plans for me. What job should I train to do? Who should I marry? Should I marry? How can I find God’s will for my life?
God built directions into geese
One of the first things you need to remember is that God’s primary means of guiding you to his plan is found in the Bible. Granted he doesn’t answer specific questions about your career and marriage, like who, when, where and how. However, God does give you the boundaries for how you relate to people in your job and marriage.
When you need to make a decision in an area where the Bible gives no clear direction…
- Think things through carefully and rationally. As you pray for and trust God to give you wisdom, use the mind he gave you to do the hard work of thinking objectively. (James 5:1)
- Think ahead. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you discern the consequences of each option.
- Seek wise counsel from a mature Christian. Find someone who knows you well and will tell you the truth.
- Learn to ask, “Why do I feel good about this option?” Avoid the mistake of assuming that if it feels good it must be right.
- Remember that following God’s direction does not guarantee “smooth sailing.” (Mark 4:35-38; 6:45-50)
If you’d like more ideas about finding God’s plan, check out these blog posts.
What do you think? You can send your thoughts to me in the comments section below, on Facebook, on Twitter, on LinkedIn or by email. If this post has helped you or if you believe it might help someone you know, please share it. Thank you.