Something Important Happened Today
October 26, 2011
Posted by on
A few years ago, I read a post on Ordinary Attempts, by Carmen Andres, that prompted these thoughts on what is truly important.
My perspective on the important events of life is distorted.
When I hear that something important happened in the world today, I often wondered what news item I had missed. “Was there an earthquake? Was there a turning point in the war on terror? Did scientists find a cure for cancer? What big event have I failed to spot?”
God’s outlook stands in contrast to my inclination.
He looks for simple, ordinary acts of service done by His people.
- When a Christian helps a neighbor with a chore, God’s kingdom of love and grace expands.
- When one of His children takes the time to listen to someone, Jesus touches the speaker.
- When you hold the door for another person entering a store with you, the Holy Spirit is free to work in his or her life.
- When a Sunday School class prays and studies together, lives are transformed.
- When a man, woman or child turns to Jesus, the angels in heaven throw a party to celebrate.
These events seldom make the evening news, but God notices them every moment of every day.
You and I can be involved in the important happenings in the world today.
Never underestimate your simple, ordinary acts of service. You are sharing Jesus’ love and building God’s kingdom. We can prepare for bed each night knowing that something important happened in the world during the day because God’s love touched someone through us.
QUESTION OF THE DAY:
What was the last thing you did to share Jesus’ love by simply serving someone?